Header

The first Mississippi River Trail sign at the Headwaters

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Chapter 4 What is my Kit?

Some have asked what I have brought with for 90 days on a bicycle without support.  First off, my bicycle is a 38 year old Schwinn Le Tour ten speed that I have upgraded and customized over the years to the point where almost nothing is original except the frame, shifters and brakes.  There are far more advanced, lighter and purpose designed bikes to use but  I like this bike and most importantly it is a gigantic frame size that fits my 6'-5" body.  Bikes today are no longer available in such a large frame size as  bike makers take a more one size fits all approach. Murphy travels in a customized dog trailer that attaches to the rear axle with a flexible connection.  In it I carry 2 half gallon plastic water bottles and 2 plastic boxes, one for dog treats and one for human treats. It also has Murphy's leash, tennis ball and collapsible dog dish.  I carry 4 saddle bags that attach to front and rear racks of the bike. I had to be ruthless to limit my weight.  One  bag is my sleep kit and has a summer weight sleeping bag, inflatable mattress with a cotton slipcover, foam travel pillow and a nylon hammock. The second bag contains my clothing: two pairs zip off leg pants, 1 pair of lightweight cargo shorts, 2 lightweight fishing shirts, 1 canvas shirt, 4  colored t shirts, 4 pairs underwear, 4 pairs of sox, 2 bandanas and a fleece jacket with hood.  The third bag is shelter: a 2 man tent, rain suit, rain booties, an anti mosquito shirt and head net. The last bag is cooking gear and "other": small stove nested in a cook pot, mess kit pot with lid, bowl, cup, silverware, flexible plastic cutting board, toiletry kit, dog food and a miscellaneous small bottles of soap, cooking oil, dog shampoo, and repair kits. There is a small tool kit that hangs below the saddle and a front map bag on the handle bars containing eye protection, sun tan lotion, camera tripod, saddle rain cover, guide book and maps.  I recharge my smart phone with a small solar panel notebook although it seems to be falling short due to cloudy days and not enough time directly facing sunlight. I have to vampire power from exterior outlets at gas stations or where opportunity presents itself. Sue will be coming to travel with me in a week so I will be able to adjust my kit after a couple weeks to refine it further.
The smart phone makes navigation easy when there is a strong enough signal but I still refer to the guidebook, maps and ask for directions if all else fails.
 
Sleep pannier                                                 Clothing Pannier



Cooking pannier
Murphy's Trailer
The National Eagle Center In Wabasha



No comments:

Post a Comment