Header

The first Mississippi River Trail sign at the Headwaters

Friday, August 19, 2016

Chapter 1 All great journeys start with one step: Itasca to Minneapolis, June 2016 

My first leg of this trip was also a proof of concept exercise.  I decided to start the trip at Itasca with my wife volunteering to act as support driving a SAG wagon following my progress for the first 4 days.  The first concern is- I am pulling 3 times more than your average cycle tourist, am I even going to be able to move my rig?  Better to find out with a my wife around to save me.  It is heavy, but manageble.  Once you get going its moves along fine but the hills are brutal.  Good thing there won't be many hills. I hope.
There was a school field trip at the famous river's outlet at Itasca State Park.  The place was filled with screaming kids, splashing water asking me "Hey Mister, can I pet your dog?"  Murphy obliged. I am following the Mississippi River Trail (MRT) which has recently been completed about 2 years ago.  I know that Minnesota is way ahead of other states in the development of this trail.  It is actually a route that is signed and follows along the river as closely as possible. It uses existing roads, bike trails and even the tops of levees.  The goal is to use off-road trails whenever possible, if not, quiet country roads that are paved, and lastly busy roads with wide shoulders.  It travels through all 10 states bordering the river sometimes with route options on both sides. The first of many MRT signs I am to see is just off the lot for the headwaters along the park road. We take a photo for posterity.
It is surprising how quickly the river grows.  At the lake outlet it is a mere creek, a few miles later a rushing stream.  By the time it reaches the first major town of Bemidji it is already a river in my book. The first leg from Itasca to Minneapolis took 8 days averaging 35 miles per day. A good chunk of it included the Paul Bunyan Trail which takes you on 123 miles of former railroad right of way cutting through beautiful pine forest. Straight, flat and easy. This section will likely be the most remote and wild of the whole length.  Murphy does fine but he does get bored in his trailer.  I sometimes let him run alongside when it is safe which he loves.  We stop frequently to allow him time to chase his ball, go swimming and laze around.  After 8 days of bike travel covering a distance of 300 miles I am pretty sure this will work.  One upgrade made is that  I have fashioned a shade screen stretched above Murphy to give him a scrap of shade on those long stretches in the open.
The other concern is can my 61 year old body take it?  I have heard it takes 3 weeks to toughen up. After the first 3 days my butt hurts, my wrists hurt and for some reason my elbows.  But I seem to recover overnight without permanent injury.
The next leg starts from Minneapolis and goes the whole way.  I start in Mid August after taking off the month of July.

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following your blog. Nice that you have such great company along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like quite an adventure, Dave! Good luck on your southward your journey and I look forward to reading how it's going along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cousin David, with Julia in college, I finally have time to pay attention to the rest of the world. This is a great journey. Tonight, Mark, visiting from Luxembourg, Cherie & Allan, Bryce & wife Jessica, Bob & me and our assorted dogs: Tucker, Spike, Mugsy and River, will be together and send hugs to you! Cousin Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David, I'm loving this adventure. Hope to meet and camp with you and Murphy when you pass through Missouri. Rocky, Rita and Sassy

    ReplyDelete