Header

The first Mississippi River Trail sign at the Headwaters

Monday, October 24, 2016

Chapter 34 A Blow Out, A Tire Testimonial, The Small Stuff

The James Audubon Bridge crosses the river on the way to Baton Rouge.
An elegant structure with yellow clad cable stay.
The next day I am on the road again heading for Baton Rouge.  I am warned this is a lonely and remote stretch of the MRT, "bring water and food as the trail has no services" according to the guidebook.  About 25 miles out of town a storm is brewing on the horizon and I see rain squalls weeping sheets of water a couple miles away headed towards me.  I am hoping I can evade them.  That is when I hear a loud bang and my bike rumbles to a stop.  My rear tire has blown out the side wall.  It is beyond repair, I am screwed.  But not quite yet.  I have a weak cell signal.  I get through to my relatives.  I track down a tire from a bike shop in Natchez and John is soon on his way once again to rescue his Uncle.  He delivers a new tire, tube and patch kit (I am taking no chances) about half an hour later.  Just long enough for the rain squall to catch up with me as I am waiting.  As I watched the dirt field next to us slowly get pounded into mud by the advancing force of the rain it engulfs us. Murphy looks up at me at if he has done something wrong. I had to ask him if we are having fun yet. John asked me why I don't carry a spare.  I guess I have room for a spare dog but not for a spare tire.
Now would be a good time to provide a testimonial on tires.  I have now had some experience in tire performance.  I started my trip with 2 used tires both Continental Gatorskins.  Never had one flat until Kentucky.  My rear tire wore out in Iowa but in fairness was heavily worn when I started.  The replacement (Giant brand) wore out in just 3 1/2 weeks  and suffered one flat.  It was replaced by one in Memphis (SELA brand) which had the "Flat Protection System", it went flat 8 times before finally blowing out. My prior experience with Bontrager brand tires led me to avoid them to begin with.
So my flat free front tire has rolled over all the same crap and essentially "cleared a path" for my rear tire and it looks like it will outlast the trip.  You ask me, get Gatorskins.
It is interesting how little problems that beset us change with the circumstances.  In my prior life as an Architect a big problem is when my 25 million dollar project is going to miss its deadline because half the team just quit for greener pastures. Now I have been vexed by flats and a rear view mirror that keeps working loose and falling off. You really need a rear view mirror to keep an eye on upcoming traffic from behind. The mount was a custom deal I did myself  countersunk into my plastic grip handle.  I have spent more time trying different glues and  elegant solutions than I care to admit. Finally I have resorted to the handyman's ultimate solution known as duct tape.
I covered the duct tape with black
electrical tape so its acceptable.
 Being an architect this really sticks in my craw as it is ugly beyond words  but it works.
 Vanity has also entered the picture on my attire.  One horribly hot day a woman gave me a scarf like thing to wear that is filled with some super absorbent gel.  It holds a cooling amount of water that evaporates through the day and despite my initial skepticism it really works well.

Only confident men can wear these.
 The problem is it's the color pink with a leopard print that when tied around my neck like a choker and makes me look like a real Ken doll. In New York City, I probably would fit in but in rural Mississippi it draws stares if I forget to remove it before I walk into the diner. Being 6'-5", 220 lbs no one has said what they are thinking.
Not only do well intentioned people give me stuff but I find stuff along the road as well.  Given I have to carry it it has to be pretty useful to make it on board.
For some reason, have passed hundreds of gloves along the roadside. Yet in 2,000 miles I have never passed a single pair of gloves, always useless singles. I even found a really nice Harley Davidson branded waterproof riding chap.  Well made, good quality. Really nice. Just one.
Back on the road I passed a complex of engineering projects and diversion dams that I learned are pretty important.
 The Mississippi likes to jump out of its track all the time and years ago it crossed into the path of the Atchafalaya river which drains in a different direction to the gulf.  In time, more water headed down that shorter easier route that the Mississippi was in danger of drying up. Baton Rouge and New Orleans are deepwater ports and were in danger of being cut off from the gulf.  The corps of engineers erected these massive structures to keep the old Miss on course.

No comments:

Post a Comment