Header

The first Mississippi River Trail sign at the Headwaters

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Chapter 13 Travels with Murphy

My scheming plan to shamelessly use Murphy to break the ice is working better than I imagined. People love him. I am being stopped in the street as I pass. I hear "Awws" and "Look at that dog!" and "That is sooo cute!" all the time.  He of course is a natural ham and usually gets them to rub his belly in the end.  He is particularly disarming to groups of young women who fawn over him gathering around his trailer cooing and fussing. I would recommend any young single lad to get himself a golden retriever.
Charming as he is, he is still a dog.  Twice he has disappeared from sight only to have rolled in something foul upon his return.  Once apparently cow manure based on smell and once in a dead gelatinous fish which he shook off spattering me with stomach churning flecks. In both cases he was immediately given a bath with soap and malice. In all, he seems to be enjoying the trip as he is with his master 24 hours a day slowly expanding his "territory" down the river. At first he hung his head "out the window" all the time but now  he will lay down resting his head on the edge of the trailer.


I am meeting Sue in Burlington, Iowa next up for another rest and refit stop.  I have noticed that my rear tire is wearing through to the cording and needs to be replaced. This will be a chance to shed unwanted gear and resupply.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving reading your blog.Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, didn't you used to drag Kelly along to get attention? I see you've switched your tactics!

    ReplyDelete